Monday, August 27, 2012

OUT OF ICU -- First Night not too Great

Chip has not had any sleep since he woke from surgery Thursday evening the 23rd of August.  Apparently the steroids along with the protein levels in the body coupled with the fact that he has just undergone MAJOR surgery all combine for this.
 
I got back to Charlotte yesterday around 5:30 pm.  (Saturday August 25th).  Not long after walking into the house the nurse called me and told me that Chip wanted to speak to me.  I told her OK and that I would call him on his cell phone.  I called and he didn't answer.  I tried again and he didn't answer.  The nurse calls me back and tells me that he didn't want to speak to me that he wanted me to come into his room.  I told her I was in Charlotte and I wouldn't be back till Sunday.  She said OK and that she would tell him.  He told her that I was lying and that I was 'hiding from him'.  He also said that his cell phone was ringing with different numbers calling and that I had taken everyone's cell phone.  He finally got so frustrated he told the nurse just to tell me that "I won... meaning Ann had won the game" and I could stop hiding from him.  His confusion is often weird.  He seems to be telling stories from VERY EARLY in his childhood which, according to Dad, are accurate.  He is still extremely emotional and wants to "FIX" everything.  He has said things that I think are truly from his heart and has spoken about things that I think may have been weighing on his heart for many years.  It is sad, sweet, relieving, and many other things. 
 
When Aunt Jean walked into his room today he totally went into tears.  Aunt Jean is the Aunt that everyone deserves.  She is the Aunt that makes every niece and nephew feel like 'he or she' is her favorite.  EVERYONE DESERVES AN AUNT JEAN.  We are just lucky that WE  have her.
 
I got to speak to the Transplant Doctor on the phone because Chip had made everyone leave the room to go have lunch.  I happened to call when the Dr. was in there and he let me listen to what he had to say and then she spoke to me ear-to-ear to repeat what I had missed.  When she was leaving I heard Chip tell her to "Go save someone else" and thank you for "SAVING HIM".  It was truly touching. 
 
All levels are where they want them to be and we are moving along.  We know that what has been experienced thus far is NOT THE NORM. 
 
I told Chip that Mom (Our Mother) was working overtime in heaven and apparently she was one of the favorite angels as she and many others are taking care of him.  I turned around and my dad was standing there and had a tear in his eye.  I said "Yep, your mom is working overtime up there along with many others". 
 
He then told me that last night when he would close his eyes he would hear my voice.  He would open them and then he would look in the mirror and see mom.  He thought in his mind that he was feeling like he did back in January when his ammonia levels got so high (because his liver was truly starting to fail).  In January he was in ICU for about 5 days and thankfully doesn't remember a thing. 

For all the confusion that he has there are 'sane' moments where he speaks clearly and is not as emotional.

Still tweaking the medicines and hoping that he will eat more.  He is nervous about eating cause he doesn't want to get sick.  The physical therapist came in and got him up and he walked around a little.  He felt very light headed and weak.  He sat for about two hours. 

We can tell that he is coming back cause he doesn't stop teasing the nurses and asking them how mad he has made them.  Still he can remember everyone who is in his room and what procedure they did. 

Here's to another night (A GOOD ONE with sleep for the patient) and a better tomorrow... we still COULDN'T be more blessed.  If you don't believe in miracles jump on our journey and then you certainly will!

Night......

(Sorry for tpos...my eyes just can't re-read).
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations